How to Manage and Defend Website Accessibility Claims
Americans With Disabilities Act (“ADA”)-based discrimination claims alleging inaccessibility of business websites have exploded on the scene over the last several years. Thousands of these claims, usually involving visually impaired persons, were filed nationwide in 2018. Every business with a consumer facing website is at risk. The claims reach far beyond retail businesses, hitting the food services, real estate, financial services, higher education and entertainment industries. Since 2016, a series of plaintiff-friendly federal district and circuit court decisions have presented even further challenges to the defense of these claims. Defense of ADA website claims calls for a very practical approach, undergirded by an in-depth knowledge of defenses that are likely to prevail and those that are no longer viable.
Download the slides from UsableNet's Webinar on Tuesday, March 26 at 12 pm ET, "How to Manage and Defend Website Accessibility Claims," with featured Presenter, Mark Sidoti of Gibbons PC.
This presentation provides practical strategies for resolving ADA website claims, including;
- The basis for ADA website claims and the motivation and approach of plaintiffs’ counsel
- The current state of the law and the continuing split in the circuit courts on key issues
- The impact of recent Robles v. Domino's decision from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Proactive and reactive defense strategies, including practical tips for structuring settlement agreements
- Steps to prevent or mitigate follow-on claims
Webinar Originally Aired: March 26, 2019
The information contained in the webinar is intended to supply general information to the public. It is not intended to constitute legal advice on any subject matter.